Why Learn German in Our Homeschools
There are many choices when it comes to teaching foreign languages in our Catholic homeschools. Whether you have a teen who is trying to decide on a language for high school or who is seriously considering the study of German, we’re here to help.
In today’s Top-10, well actually Top-8, we have some great reasons why homeschooled high school students might consider taking German as a foreign language:
- Economic benefits: Germany is one of the largest economies in the world, and it is a major trading partner with the United States. They are the second largest exporter in the world. Knowing German can give students an advantage in international business and open up opportunities for employment with German companies.
- Cultural exchange: Germany has a rich cultural history, and learning German can allow students to appreciate and understand German literature, music, art, and film. Additionally, speaking German can facilitate travel and exchange programs to Germany, Austria, and other German-speaking countries.
- Academic opportunities: Germany is home to some of the world’s top universities and research institutions. Knowing German can give students a competitive edge when applying for academic programs and research opportunities.
- Communication: German has the largest number of native speakers (over 100 million) in the European Union (far more than English, Spanish, or French).
- Help in STEM-related fields. German is the second most commonly used scientific language in the world.
- Literary pursuits: Almost a fifth of the world’s books are published in German, and few of these ever appear in English translation.
- Personal growth: Learning a foreign language can improve cognitive function, memory, and problem-solving skills. Additionally, it can provide students with a sense of accomplishment and enhance their understanding of their own language and culture.
- Pope Benedict XVI. Need we say more?
Overall, learning German can provide homeschooled high school students with many personal, academic, and professional benefits.
If you’d like to learn German, Homeschool Connections offers both LIVE (interactive) and recorded (self-paced) courses with plans to expand the program in the future. Click here to learn more: Online German Classes.
We invite you to join us in our Catholic Homeschool Connections Community to connect with other Homeschool Connections parents.